Saturday, May 11, 2013

Last day in Guatemala

three neighboring volcanoes
The morning started at 6am with a group of us taking off to hike a local volcano, Volcan de Pacaya.  This is actually an active volcano that last erupted in May 2010.  What made the hike so challenging was the very steep incline.  There are actually people who follow you up with horses hoping you'll give up and ride the rest of the way.  I almost gave in a few times, but eventually we made it to the top. 
Our final destination
The closer to the top we got, the more the trees thinned out and the ground became more sand like.  I felt so accomplished once I reached the top.  We got to walk about and explore all the nooks and crannies.  There were hidden hot spots with little green plants trying to grow around them.  Other than that it was just black lava rock everywhere.  Our guide showed us how to roast marshmallows over one of the hot spots.  That was really cool! 





 We started to head down a different way than we came up but halfway on this other path a sign stopped us saying it was too dangerous.  After some backtracking and walking around the dangerous part, we finally found the right trail to lead us down.  It was a very tiring and sweaty morning, but definitely worth it!
After the hike we got to go to a local coffee plantation.  The farmer himself met us and walked us around the land.  We learned about the different kinds of coffee beans and how they have to be planted with trees since they like shade.  Next we were taken to the farmer's home where we met his wife and learned about how the beans are processed.  First the husk is removed using a bicycle powered machine.  Then they are left to dry out for days and are surprisingly a pretty yellow color.  Once they are dry they are sorted.  Beans with imperfections are removed to be used for energy drinks while those that pass inspection become coffee.

We next got to roast our own beans.  The strength of the coffee all depends on how long you roast them.  Strong coffee is roasted for a longer time.  The beans are put over an open flame in a hot and smokey room.  They have to be kept moving so that they roast evenly.  Then we got to grind them by hand.  It was hard work and I did not do very well at all.  In the end we made wonderful cups of coffee!  It was a fun afternoon.     



After all that hard work our group wanted nothing more than a shower and clean clothes.  I also had one last trip to the market to make.  I am my mother's daughter and therefore get a high striking a bargin.  It's all about bartering at the market and I loved it!  The secret is to walk away.  Pretty soon my friends were having me barter for them. 

Back at the hotel one of our hikers had gotten a little too dehydrated.  Luckily we are a group of med students all eager to help with a bunch of medical supplies.  So it was decided that we would use an IV of saline solution to help our buddy feel better soon.  And I was the lucky winner allowed to put in the IV!  I was more nervous than the patient.  Good news though is that it went great!  He was feeling better in no time.  With the doctoring done, it was dinner time. 
 


 Our last night in Guatemala was spent hanging out on the rooftop of our hotel.  It was nice to see the city all lit up from up there.  The next morning after one last cup of coffee we loaded the bus to head to the airport.  Of course there was a group sing-a-long on the way. 

Overall I had an amazing experience in Guatemala.  I got to see and do and learn so many things.  I strengthened relationships with my classmates and met many new amazing people who became my teachers.  My passion for medicine and mission work is bigger than ever.  I can't wait for me next adventure.  Unfortunately it is now time to crack down and study for boards.  But in a few months I'll be in the hospital daily learning and working with patients.  That is what is keeping me motivated. 

No comments: